- DASHRATH MANJHI(Mountain Man) was born on 14 January 1929 Gehlaur village near Gaya in Bihar, India.
- He belong to a Musahar family, at the lowest rung of caste system.His family was very poor.
- Due to which he ran away from home at very young age to work in DHANBAD COAL MINE.
RETURN HOMETOWN AND FIND’S HIS TRUE LOVE
- After working for 7 years in Dhanbad, he return to Gehlaur to support his family financially.
- When he came back he fall in love with the lady name FALGUNI DEVI, but her father refuses for their marriage, So they both eloped and get married in 1956.
- One day when her wife was delivering food to her husband, she fell of the mountain and got seriously injured.
- MANJHI took her to near by hospital beyond the mountain but it was to late, due to which she died in 1960.
DETERMINED AMD FOCUSED
- After the death of his wife he was very depressed for some days. But he took firm Determination and think that no one else should suffer this fate, he resolved to build the road to make his village more accessible decided to carve a path through the Gehlour hills.
- Initially people think him mad but after some time SHIVU MISHTRI one of his friend gave him a HAMMER AND CHISEL.
- He even went to Delhi to seek help from INDIRA GANDHI (P.M). But he was thrown out of Train. As he was travelling without ticket.
- But he not loose his hopes and alone started to carve a way from the mountain. It took him 22 years from (1960-1982) to carve a way through the hill and reduces the distance between the Atri and Wazirganj sectors of the Gaya district from 55 km to 15 km.
- It was a way of a path 110 m long (360 ft), 9.1 m (30 ft) wide and 7.6 m (25 ft) deep through a hillock using only a Hammer and Chisel.
- In the year of 2006 he died as he was suffering from Cancer in GALL BLADER at A.I.I.M.S Delhi
- At the age of 78 on 17 August in 2007. He was given the State funeral by Bihar govt.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND PRAISED
- Manjhi became popularly known as the ‘Mountain Man’. The Bihar government also proposed his name for the Padma Shree award in 2006 in social service sector.
- A Stamp was released by India Post in the “Personalities of Bihar” series on 26 December 2016.
- Hindi movie Manjhi – The Mountain Man was released and well received. The movie was directed by Ketan Mehta. Nawazuddin played the role of Manjhi along with Radhika Apte as Falguni Devi.
- First Episode of Season 2 of the Aamir Khan hosted TV Show Satyamev Jayate, aired in March 2014, was dedicated to Dashrath Manjjhi. Aamir Khan and Rajesh Ranjan also met Bhagirath Manjhi and Basanti Devi, son and daughter-in-law of Manjhi and promised to provide financial help.